Day 6 Hawaii: Air, Land and Sea

Sunday 20th July 2014

The Cock crowed at 5 am, so I woke up. (No rest for the wicked!) So I must be very wicked indeed! There was no evidence of storm damage and the sun was beginning to rise and the sky looked clear. I roused myself from the bed in C’s room, yes I ended up falling asleep there, under the blanket no less! Grabbed a drink to quench my thirst and laid down on the couch. After about 10 minutes I was feeling cold so I grabbed a beach towel from the back of a chair and rested. I must have fallen back to sleep because next thing I know Hubby is on the veranda. I check the time again fretful that I have slept through the helicopter trip planned for today. Luck is on my side, or perhaps my guardian angel (Hubby) was carefully monitoring this for me and I didn’t need luck.

Breakfast of poached eggs on toast with a delicious coffee was an awesome way to fuel my body. Waking C up was easy, even though he was tired; he was excited too! We departed on time with minimal fuss. The trip was what it needed to be, radio stations continue with their static, or playing the same songs over and over again. It seems a bit country here to me! The wind is hammering us more than I thought it would, yet we spot a helicopter in the sky so know we are a go. The safety briefing goes well, not too much to worry about (OMG). Leave it to the pilot is the main message…let’s hope he’s not injured or my other worry is who flies if he’s administering first aid?? I don’t ask the questions I just silently pray…

The other people complain that they were meant to have priority seating and had paid for it. The staff checked and they didn’t. We hadn’t either but we were lighter and balanced the weight of the pilot more closely than them so we got front views, woo hoo! As a way to console them and perhaps get a tip(not sure??) the pilot offered to take the doors off…why, oh why did I say yes to this, C lookIMG_0129ed at me with great surprise and a raised eye brow, even I do not know why I said yes.So n ow we are flying in a tiny helicopter without doors, after a storm, with wind still blowing, out over the water and high up into the mountains. (the storm was so severe it caused landslides that blocked the major road around the island for some time) None of this makes sense and my brain goes into survival melt down!!

Sacred falls…. super Amazing!!!

Everything I had thought, dreamed of and hoped for. Pure, simple, amazing. The story behind Sacred Falls and the tragedy that befell people hiking there meant that the helicopter trip was the only way to connect with it. I was truly inspired by the beauty and ruggedness of this island. No more to say. I didn’t take photos as I was hanging on for my life, I have never sat so close to someone before in my life; lucky it was C. The greenness was so amazing, splashed with the redness of the soil exposed after many landslides. Truly amazing and worthwhile, even if I lost feeling in my hand for a while. Hubby waited patiently for us, not really sure why he didn’t want to come. Perhaps it was the money, I can’t imagine he was scared. I may ask him another time. I don’t want to, or need to make myself feel guilty for this spend. I choose delight, excitement and connection with this amazing place instead.IMG_0068

Back on the ground and it’s time to float in the water. We pick a spot we had identified from the air. It was perfect. C sat on the beach and watched and waited with great patience and acceptance. He doesn’t enjoy the water as much as when he was little. I hoped he would, maybe he will some day. I am so glad we were able to do the flight, something special for him, he had wanted to do the volcano on Hawaii(so had I), but it seemed too much to expect E to do that extra flight, and I’m glad we made that decision. I love that we can be there for each other in different ways and support each other without having to be involved in every single aspect. Perhaps that was what Hubby felt about the helicopter trip, there wasn’t a need for him personally, so he was simply happy to support us in our desires and enjoy our delight with what we experienced.

Fish we saw were tremendous; being bitten on the toe was worrying and the slimy rocks made me appear less than graceful getting in and out of the water. The mask was incredibly steamy, so I was grateful to have Hubby by my side. He was a bit disappointed at not having seen a turtle. I’m okay with it though, as I feel that the experience we had with the turtle at Heron Island, back in Australia was so amazing, it would out do any other interaction or experience possible.

Next stop was a shaved ice, although we were waylaid at the supermarket for a time. The ice was soft, delicious, cold and very yummy. IMG_0137Hubby bought us all t-shirts which was brilliant. We then headed home to E and had some sushi for lunch. Hubby contemplated the tides and we then listened to an explanation which confirmed and deepened the knowledge I had brought forth on the topic, geez I know a lot!!!. After a pretend nap, (I tried hard but it didn’t work) we headed off for a walk along the beach, and over the rocks to the next beach. We discovered a tent in among the shrubs, up on the cliff and a very chilled looking man, who really didn’t want his smoking meditation interrupted. However we needed help to find the path down and he showed great care in defining the path we were to take. He blessed us with peace and prosperity (only making that bit up, I couldn’t hear what he said, so choose to perceive his mutterings in this way) and we rock climbed down a vertical drop to the next beach…awesome. I stopped Hubby occasionally and asked for help, he was my knight in shining armor; I was scared I would fall!

Upon our return we drank heaps of water as the path along the road was stifling hot. E announced he would like a swim. The drift wood washed down through the streams was enormous and really made swimming a hazard. But some risks are worth taking, and E needed to do this for his to cool his body down and for his own sanity, so off we went. The waves were dumping so we chose the most placid spot. I went in to my ankles, which quickly became my chest and E went out a bit further. The water was brown and whilst it was cool it wasn’t as nice as the blue-green water we are used to. Upon our return E showered and I sat down to relax. E is still finding it hard but has adjusted to the rhythm and knows that it is not long till we return home. I am super proud of all that he is doing.

Hubby and I discussed the North South aspect of the house and he made the comment that in the Northern hemisphere it is possible for the sun to shine from the North, this confused me. Being already so tired and trying to visualize this concept, one that I always find tricky, was like a nightmare. Hubby then announces that I am being aggressive towards him. We talk, I feel somewhat affronted, upset and disappointed. I probably am being aggressive; I find it very hard to keep on top of how I come across to other people. I’ve given up. Part of me wants to scream you can think what you like…I don’t care! The truth is I do care, I want to be liked and loved, but when I am tired, scared, overwrought, anxious…I become grumpy (because I’m tired it makes everything worse), I’m probably short tempered, angry, curt and obnoxious. Isn’t everyone, is it such a Big deal! Eventually I will sleep and then I will be rested refreshed and able to interact better and understand more effectively and logically what’s going on. Any way I shared all of my thoughts with him on it and he shared more of his. I hope we are coming to a new point in communication. Later on I tried to convince him that I am funny. He just stared at me! Actually he asked me who finds me funny…that was funny! I think I’m funny, at least some of the time!!!

Dinner goes down well. We all sit outside, it is so much cooler and easier to clean up. I kick C off the computer to write. Won’t do him any harm. The drone of the fans all going, all the time, gets a bit much, but we need the air circulation, it is still so steamy. It’s 9pm and time for me to shut my eyes and rest. If sleep comes I will be grateful, if rest comes I will be grateful, if I get back up and cuddle Hubby I will be grateful. Peace Love and all the other things that are wonderful.




About R Congues

Funny enough, this blog has become the expression of my hopes, dreams, love and experiences. It came about because of the situation I discovered I was in, and I am delighted to see it grow and heal into something different: I am a parent of two children, one who has experienced severe anxiety that became disabling in all aspects of their life. I am a teacher of Maths, Science and Religious Education with a Masters in Special Needs Education; I am a qualified Reiki master, with a love of art and creative experience. I am not a professional in the fields of psychology or medicine. (If you are interested in these perspectives there are many internet sites to use.) I am simply expressing my experience in my own unique way.
This entry was posted in Anxiety, Connections, Depression, Energy, Marriage, Parenting, Relationships, Teenagers, Travel and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to Day 6 Hawaii: Air, Land and Sea

  1. maggies90 says:

    Well I had a few laughs in there!!! No doors! You are funny!!! 🙂 hehehe

    Liked by 1 person

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s