PHYSIOLOGY OF FEAR
The physiology of Fear is well documented*. Medical fields now understand how much the “Fear” factor effects your health.
- Increases cortisol, prolactin and growth hormone
- Increase pulse, blood pressure, and affect other physiological responses.
- Blood vessels traveling to the gastrointestinal tract, hands, and feet constrict, while vessels traveling to the heart, large muscle groups, and brain dilate
- Your pupils dilate
- Metabolism speeds up in order to jolt you with a boost of energy by breaking down fat stores and liberating glucose into the blood stream
- Your respiratory rate increases and your bronchi dilate
- Muscles become tense
- Stomach acid increases and digestive enzymes decrease, often leading to esophageal contractions, diarrhea, or constipation
- Cortisol suppresses your immune system
- Reproduction gets shut off (Taken from Lissa Rankin )
- Anxiety, Depression, Phobias, weight issues, relationship issues, emotional issues…
So why is it that Medical practitioners and health professionals often dance around fear? Why as sufferers do we find it so hard to face our greatest fears? Does talking about our fears actually help or does it just make us more vulnerable and perpetuate the fear even more?
THE BOX OF FEAR
It seems that fear is so scary it gets locked away in a little (or big) box. We ignore it and think we are coping wonderfully well. We get sick….but that’s normal. We struggle in our relationships…but that’s normal. We get stressed over seemingly little things…but that’s normal. We take medications, drink wine, smoke to get through the day…but that’s normal.
CHANGE WHAT’S NORMAL
Is it the sort of normal you want anymore? Taking the Single greatest Fear out of the Box is really scary. It’s been there so long that maybe you don’t even know what it is bout anymore. It may not even be relevant to your life anymore and yet you are still carrying it around. Maybe it’s time to open this box, take a peek, dive in and sort out whether it worth holding on to this Fear. By all accounts this fear is doing you way more harm than the protective qualities it is meant to offer you.
DOES RELAXATION CUT IT?
Peeking in the box is probably the biggest hurdle. It takes courage and that is hard to do when Fear is raging out of control. So the most successful way is to practice the Relaxation Response Technique. It is simple and easy to use and is the antithesis of the Fear Response. The other big plus is that this technique is cheap, you can do it at home on your own, and the scientific data indicates that it is highly effective in reducing all the side affects of Fear.
When you are relaxed the affects of fear dissipate.
You are free to enjoy life again.
Can it really be that simple? The data says yes!
What about the fear that I placed in that box, is it still there? Will it come out as a rampaging bull and destroy me?
RELEASING DEEP ROOTED FEAR
The Fear may be deep rooted and so familiar that you don’t want to let it go, it ay be anchored to memory in the past that is important to you, that you perhaps define who you are by. If that is the case there are other modalities (EMDR, Tapping, Hypnotherapy etc) that can be explored that require outside health professionals. There is a way past this Fear, and you are much more than your Fear allows you to be.
Give it a go, twice a day, for a week.
Does it make a difference for YOU?