Creating expressions of the Soul............
I am a visual person who loves color, beauty, sparkles and the random whimsical characteristics of nature. When I reflect upon myself and my life I create pictures and feel inspired to create that which I have pictured, that would otherwise remain intangible and perhaps be forgotten.
The 12 month Wellness program I enrolled in, real kick started me into reflecting on how I care for myself, the nurturing and support I offer to me. The words “Feathering my Nest” came in, and I began to see the opportunity to explore what my nest is like…
The Soul can express itself easily through the creative process, when you let down the barriers of perfectionism and what our society/culture tell us is worthy and beautiful. Much of what I create reveals the whimsical child within, who loves to sing & dance and create that which is of her own doing. Here are the steps I took in creating my nest. You may or may not like it…that’s not my concern…I love it and it brightens my day to surround myself with expressions of my Soul.
- Become inspired to create your own personal nest…a path to discovery
- Collect materials
- PVA glue
- Cling wrap
- Darning needle and Different coloured threads, ribbons etc
- Feathers, beads etc
- Cover bowl upside down with cling wrap
- Soak wool in PVA watered down with water 1:1 and drape over bowl, crisscrossing the wool to create an interesting design
- Give it a good day to dry completely before removing from bowl (can use hairdryer to speed up process if impatient)
- Using a darning needle weave threads of different colors through the nest, use knots to strengthen weaker point and provide greater stability.
- Use a blanket stitch around the top to strengthen the lip of the nest
- Attach feathers, ribbons, beads as desired
- Create an extra loop at the base so that you can attach to the wall if desired.
Please if you do make a “nest” I would Love it if you shared a picture of it and perhaps a note of what the experience was like for you.